Tree Swallows Breeding Project

Observing Birds in Soundview Park (North) 5-21-13

Submitted by angelc on Tue, 2013-05-21 11:58
External video: 
See video

Shamar, Ruth, and I talk about the birds we saw in Soundview Park on Monday 5/20.

A Tree Swallow Takes Over

Submitted by ruthv on Tue, 2013-04-09 09:54
External video: 
See video

Yesterday, we went to Soundview Park to observe birds, and we saw a lot of robins, phoebes, black sparrows, and tree swallows. We were observing the boxes we made to see if any swallows were inside. At first there wasn't, but for some reason I had a lot of good luck.

Yesterday I saw a blue tree swallow with my own two eyes. I spotted it fighting with a black sparrow that was on top of his house basically telling it to "Get off my house!" Then it went inside of the next box.

Installing Nest Boxes in Soundview Park - Detox, March 21, 2013 11:21 AM

Submitted by angelc on Thu, 2013-03-21 11:42
External video: 
See video

Yesterday we cleaned up a bird house, then watched and analyzed birds. After that then we went to another park and put up nest boxes that we all had built.

This is where we put our nest boxes:

Tree Swallows Project - Days 1 and 2

Submitted by mauricios on Tue, 2013-03-12 14:09
External video: 
See video

Jose and I talk about the Rocking the Boat Project, what we did the first and second days. We started to get the measurements for the wood so that we could cut it to make nest boxes. We learned that there are different types of birds, and we've seen five different types of birds on the Bronx River so far. We're looking forward to doing more this spring.

Tree Swallows Breeding Project

Submitted by miguelc on Tue, 2013-03-12 10:14
External video: 
See video

Various students working on the Tree Swallows Breeding Project.

Building Nest Boxes for Tree Swallows at Rocking the Boat

Submitted by shamars on Tue, 2013-03-12 09:47
External video: 
See video

Stephanie and I are building a nest box for Tree Swallows.

Yes! Power saws and bird nests

Submitted by angelc on Tue, 2013-03-12 09:09
External video: 
See video

Here I am cutting the sides of our nest box for Tree Swallows. Yesterday students from my school and I went to Rocking the Boat again.

It was cool using the binoculars to look at the different types of birds from afar. First we stood in a line and there was a bird in the tree. I think I saw a crow. Then we all went to the park and saw more birds. Every time a student saw a bird he or she would have to describe the beak, color, the wings span, the size of the bird and then something advanced like its habitat or where they live.