military

Air Force Drones (part 2)

Submitted by xprice24 on Mon, 2016-04-18 01:35

Through researching this week I have discovered that there's a vast shortage of drone pilots in today's Air Force. This comes after March 17, 2016 when General Herbert “Hawk” Carlisle traveled to address congress about the Air Force's current state of affairs regarding a shortage of drone and fighter pilots. Over the last five years there has been a drastic increase in drone usage in the United States Air Force. This strong increase in drones has derived from the certain types of missions the United States Air Force is being asked to execute.

The Everlasting Debate on Drones

Submitted by xprice24 on Wed, 2016-04-13 23:38

In the modern age there is an ongoing debate through the military community on how drones should be applied in the Air Force. Doubt about how we are targeting threats and whether we sustain justification and accountability have risen. As Americans we must ask what is the extent of existence of collateral damage in the use of drones. Various reports of negative drone usage causing civilian casualties have been recently reported to the media.

Air Force Drones

Submitted by xprice24 on Tue, 2016-03-22 00:52

It has seemed over the past few years the has been a drastic grown in the number of air force drones being put into the battle field. It is common for to hear drones mentioned on news channels when the war on terror is being discussed. Military drones are more popular than ever. This partly because of the stealth a drone can offer, but more importantly it doesn’t have a human inside of it. Drones are great for war because of their great surveillance abilities and some of the latest technology in aviation.

Origins of the Knight of Malta

Submitted by MariaS on Sun, 2016-03-20 22:24
The Maltese Cross

I am starting research about the Knight of Malta. They are Christian military order that had influence in Europe across history. They still function today, mostly taking part of charitable activities. During their times of influence, they were centered in Malta, and colonized some of the Caribbean. They supported Christian rulers.

This is a summary of the research I have done so far on the order. It focuses on their origins and alternative names:

The New Era of Aviation Warfare

Submitted by xprice24 on Mon, 2016-02-01 00:53
http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5213ffceeab8eae813000017/the-us-air-for

In the new age of advanced warfare, we have seen a growing number of fighter drones used in the United States Air Force. Many of the U.S. drones are being operated by a pilot that is stationed in Las Vegas, Nevada at Nellis Air Force Base. Drones are an extremely powerful asset of the United States Air Force. The drone allows the pilot to spy on very dangerous areas that are a flight risk. If the drone is shot down, there is no loss of human life. But the most common use of the drone today is for precise stealth bombing.

A Crucial Controversy

Submitted by Sam Swillinger on Fri, 2015-04-24 00:56
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2006/02/14/basra372.jp

A USA Today article from April 2003 discussed how four soldiers were killed by a suicide bomber at a checkpoint. After this, commanders in the area told soldiers to be more cautious at checkpoints. Not long after this incident a car didn’t stop driving towards a checkpoint and was deemed a threat. Soldiers first fired warning shots, and then opened fire on the oncoming car. Seven people in the car were killed and two were wounded. The car was filled with women and children.

Modern Military

Submitted by ndklebba on Mon, 2015-04-20 22:58

Recently I traveled down to Moab for the Easter Jeep Safari. Not knowing that it would help in my research project a week later. There at the pavilion I came across the newest installment of a Jeep in the military. Actually it won't even be used for the military. This model I saw will be auctioned off and the money will benefit the Patriot Foundation. While talking with a guy in Moab representing the vehicle he was saying that sometime in the near future they should be sold to the public.

After failing to protect victims from sexual assault, the army continues to fail them in treatment

Submitted by Emalooly on Tue, 2015-03-31 16:42

It is well known that sexual assault in the military is a serious problem, one that has yet be curbed. Because it is not believed to be widely reported, helping victims can be a challenge. However, as Molly O'Toole, a news editor at the Huffington Post has commented, even for victims who do report their abuse, getting benefits and treatment has proven to be just as difficult.

Japan and India Stregthen Ties

Submitted by JimBestDev on Tue, 2015-03-31 16:31

To get more information surrounding our research questions we went through the Gale resources available to us to find articles that pertained to our topic. Using the Global Issues in Context page, I found a Bloomberg article that discussed Japan and India deepening their defense ties are a response to China's military growth.

From Military to Public

Submitted by ndklebba on Sat, 2015-03-21 17:48

The US government feared a war that seemed inevitable. To get ready for WWII they felt the need for a vehicle that could tackle harsh terrain. Bantam car company was the first passed with their vehicle design but could not sustain production only after making 2,600 vehicles. Willis car company took over after this with the design they called the MB. This would later become the first version of a vehicle being called Jeep.

This is a link to the Jeep Blog

ISIS holds 150 Christians hostages, will threaten to kill them

Submitted by dashiell57 on Fri, 2015-02-27 13:24
ISIS beheading

There is a news article from CNN that explains in the title that "ISIS holds 150 Christians hostages, will threaten to kill them." This was reported by the founder of the Assyrian Human Rights Network, Osama Edward. Edward arises awareness that many innocent Christians are scared and need help. Most Americans believe this to be true, but the debate starts when it comes to if we are the ones that should try to help. It has become clear that ISIS feels as though it is appropriate to kill innocent people in attempt to achieve ultimate power in the Middle East.

Commercial use for drones?

Submitted by John Garlinghouse on Fri, 2014-11-21 14:30

We hear more and more about the usage of drones in the US military and how they are helpful in the aid of airstrikes and keeping boots off the ground, but what about the usage of drones within our countries borders, commercially?

If you've been on the internet any time in the past 6 months I'm sure you've seen videos or links to videos that show commercial drone use in action, but just who exactly is allowed to own and operate these drones?

Should the US use drones?

Submitted by John Garlinghouse on Sun, 2014-11-02 12:44

I chose this topic because my brother has held an internship with a privatized company that makes drones for the military. The company is called General Atomics and ever since my brother started working there I have been very interested in them and the United States uses for them.
First of all, what is a drone?

Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), otherwise known as drones, are remotely-controlled aircraft which may be armed with missiles and bombs for attack missions

Pros:

Secrets From The Past Come Back To Haunt Us....

Submitted by StephanyCortez on Wed, 2014-04-30 15:39
External video: 
See video

April 2010, WikiLeaks WikiLeaks an online publisher of anonymous, covert, and classified material, leaks to the public a published gunsight footage from the 12 July 2007 Baghdad airstrike in which Iraqi civilians and journalists were killed by an Apache helicopter, as the Collateral Murder video. In July 2010 (same year as the Baghdad air strike ) WikiLeaks released Afghan War Diary, a compilation of more than 76,900 documents about the War in Afghanistan not previously available for public review.

Demystifying the Defense Budget (abstract)

Submitted by Alex_Barber17 on Sun, 2014-04-13 22:28

The Defense Budget of the United States of America is an exceedingly complex issue wrought with controversy. This paper attempts to bring to light shocking information about the budget, and about where your tax payer money is going. It examines some of the subtleties of the defense budget that you may not have ever considered, whilst attempting to scratch the surface on the less well known parts of the Great American War Machine in order to make more transparent the intricate relationship the Defense Budget has with the economy, society, and foreign affairs.

Wargames

Submitted by noelvizcarrondo on Wed, 2014-02-26 10:55

In Hamza Shaban’s essay, "Playing War: How the Military uses Video Games," from http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/10/playing-war-how-th..., the author discusses how the military uses video games to give soldiers a feel of what it’s like to experience life on the battlefield and how it can be used to treat soldiers when returning from war.

What are the Effects of Military Deployments on Latino Families?

Submitted by djaimes on Fri, 2013-10-04 03:37
Latinos in the U.S military

The general topic for my Senior Project that I am interested in is focused on the effects of Military deployments on Latino families. Not just the actual soldier whom is sent to war but the post-war effects, that take place once the soldier is back from serving their mission, and how that also affects the families back home. I am also going just a bit deeper into the research to see if the effects on the family are greater when it is a female in the military instead of a male.

Japanese minister propose more actively military presence

Submitted by alex quiodettis on Tue, 2013-07-30 06:03
By SPC Brandy Mort [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

TOKYO — Japan is considering the acquisition of offensive weapons and surveillance drones and will assume a more active role in regional security, the country’s defense minister said Friday, providing an early glimpse of ways the new conservative government could lead the nation farther than ever from its postwar pacifism.

The minister, Itsunori Onoreda, said that japan is ready to take this measures to counter the growing military powers of North Korea and China.

Thinking about the Future

Submitted by josev on Fri, 2013-02-01 13:44
External video: 
See video

Dean and discuss our dreams and how we're making them happen.

"Is job stress worthwhile?" Response

Submitted by Caroline_Clarkson on Wed, 2013-01-16 20:28

In Marci Alboher’s opinion piece, “Is job stress worthwhile?” from CNN, the author tells of a survey she took on what job was the most stressful and the arguments people posed against the results of this survey. The survey stated that high risk jobs, such as firefighters, military, and policemen, were the most stressful and that being a teacher or professor was the least stressful.

Dean and Jose talk about the future

Submitted by deanf on Tue, 2012-11-27 23:30
External video: 
See video

Dean and Jose talk about the future

The Effect of the Defense of Marriage Act on Same-Sex Couples and the Military

Submitted by sideknee on Fri, 2012-11-09 13:20

The fight occurring over legal recognition of same-sex marriages effects could have an effect on the Defense Department. After the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" in 2009, people have been advocating that the same-sex spouses of military personnel should receive the same federal financial benefits as heterosexual spouses should. Under the DOMA, or the Defense of Marriage Act, marriage is the unioin between one man and one woman.

Clint Eastwood

Submitted by jacobs14 on Wed, 2012-09-12 10:47

Clint Eastwood has a great film career in Actor, director, composer and producer. In this article, it talk about his time in the MIlitary at the start of the 1950's. He has been seen in military movies such as Heartbreak Ridge, Firefox, Kelly’s Hero and much more. Clint was also drafted in the US Army in 1951 and fought in the Korean War. Afterwards started his film career. During his time in the military he was a swim instructor the whole time and never was sent to Korea.

http://theclinteastwoodarchive.blogspot.com/2007/02/1951-youre-in-army-n...

Who creates jobs in the U.S. Economy?

Submitted by JasonMotley on Tue, 2012-09-11 13:03

I am interested in this because there is always a debate in politics about who the government should be subsidising, small business, big business, or themselves. I read an article by a disgruntled Republican staffer a while back that said small business and the military did not provide most employment (as Republicans often say they do), but that medium-large corporations did. The U.S. Government has a small-business administration to provide assistance to such businesses, so it clearly is a priority for them.

Air Force vs. navy

Submitted by jacobs14 on Thu, 2012-08-30 13:59

Jacob Stone

Gold 1

jacobS.G1.Blog1

Me:
1. Will I Choose to go into the Navy or the Air Force? (air force, navy, military, enlist, Air Force vs. Navy)

2. Will I ever get my bachelors degree? (Cost, time spent, outcome, schooling, major)

3. What's my I.Q? (IQ test, score, smart, genius, IQ for Dummies)

4. What car will I want? (Nissan, Toyota, Dodge, class, cost)

5. How big will my house be? (cost, land, state, neighborhood, taxes)

World:

The Spartan Way of Life

Submitted by J.O.B. on Sun, 2012-03-04 22:00

The Spartans Way of Life

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been the Spartan way of life. I remember my brother and I were talking about it the other day, but I didn't have time to research it. Lately, the this topic has caught my eye again. I know that many people feel that Spartans are the best soldiers in history. From what I have heard, The Spartans were more than just being the best soldiers even though that was one of their focuses.

Film Review: Act of Valor

Submitted by seamusa on Tue, 2012-02-28 13:59

This past weekend, I went to see the movie, Act of Valor. Now going in I had very high hopes and expectations because from a very young age I have always been fascinated by the Navy Seals. Now I had read several articles about how this movie and found out that it was filmed using helmet cameras with real Navy Seals instead of actors and live ammunition.