conversation

November's Big Question

Submitted by paulallison on Sat, 2015-11-07 21:22
External video: 
See video

I'm wondering if we might increase both the multiplicity of our students' voices on Youth Voices LIVE! and ask students to read and annotate the texts that are in NowComment and Hypothes.is about "fairness" at http://youthvoices.net/fairness

Youth Voices LIVE! How do we disagree?

Submitted by paulallison on Sun, 2015-02-15 16:34

I want to invite teachers to help organize and support students who are using Youth Voices to get together a couple of times each month around a Big Question. This month's is: How do we disagree?

Students should plan to join a Hangout On Line in two successive weeks. For example the week of February 15 (Week One) and February 22 (Week Two).

Ask Big Questions with NowComment

Submitted by paulallison on Sat, 2015-01-17 22:08

Recently, we added a new feature to Youth Voices http://youthvoices.net/askbigquestions, which can be accessed from the "Questions" tab on Youth Voices. We are planning to follow their monthly questions with rich and relevant blended (both asynchronous and face-to-face) experiences for the youths in our middle and high school classrooms.

Daisy, Alondra, and Jackelin talk about their inquiries

Submitted by danzurez on Thu, 2013-07-18 11:01
External video: 
See video

We are talking about our topics that we are interested in. We wanted to know more about each other and each of our topics is really interesting. We hope you don't get upset for talking in spanish but we do speak Spanglish.

Sierra Goldstein: Working to Make Her Dreams Come True

Submitted by monishan on Tue, 2012-12-04 12:30
External video: 
See video

I've heard and been reading about a teenage girl name Sierra Goldstein. The way I was introduced to her work was by my teacher Mr. Allison. He told me that Sierra and I had something in common, the way we both felt about cosmetics, except Sierra is doing something about it. I just wrote an essay on how I feel about it. So I visited her website http://www.sierragoldstein.com/ To get a better perspective on how she felt about not only cosmetics but healthy foods

Keep Texting Under Control

Submitted by CameronB on Wed, 2012-11-21 15:00

I think that texting can be an issue if I allow it to reach that point. I don't text nearly as much as some of my friends, but I do think it is a great way of communicating. There are many situations when I can't answer a phone call, but I can answer a text message. I don't think that texting keeps you from regular face to face conversations, I actually believe that texting initiates it. When I text my friends the conversation usually results in them coming over my house, or me going to theirs. Texting can also link me to people who I don't see quite as often.

Communicating with more than one person at at time

Submitted by KatD on Wed, 2012-11-21 14:56

Mitch Albom says that texting is bad because we are losing our face to face communication. He believes this is a bad thing. He says we are starting to not hear our loved one talk and we will one day forget their voice or have very little memory of that. http://personal.crocodoc.com/ApaB0SM

Not true. You see your family every day and if your in the next room you don't need to text then but when your at a party or out with friends you don't pick up the phone, but you will answer a text cause you can still talk to your friends while texting not while calling.

Texting is for Friends, Not Grandparents

Submitted by AshlieG on Wed, 2012-11-21 13:08

I never used to text when I was in elementary school, but once I got into middle school it was how everyone communicated. When we were in elementary, it was so cool to get a call from your friend, but now it is lame.

It makes sense why texting is more popular now a days. First people are always busy and don't have enough time to have a conversation out loud and second with new phones coming out it just makes texting easier. If you are in school you can't just go to your locker and call your mom that you need something, you text her and she will get it faster.

When you say it, it means so much more

Submitted by RebeccaO on Wed, 2012-11-21 12:41

Texting is an important way of communication in the twenty-first century. Many people have such a busy schedule between school, sports, and other activities; that it is hard to find time to sit and talk to someone on the phone.

Texting Is Just Not the Same

Submitted by KirstenR on Wed, 2012-11-21 12:32

When I read this article about texting http://personal.crocodoc.com/ApaB0SMit reminded me of the first text message I had sent to one of my friends. I was about twelve years old and had received my phone earlier that year.

That's a lot of conversation!

Submitted by peteg on Wed, 2012-11-21 11:04

I disagree with the author. People are not losing contact with each other. They are actually making more conversation with each other. In the article it says that people have an average of 2,750 texts a month. That is a lot of conversation. So how can we be losing contact with people when we talk to them over 2,000 times a month?

The years in full

Submitted by lifeinthe21 on Tue, 2012-05-08 16:14

The death of Osama Bin Laden in the last couple of years has been a recent event that has certainly impacted the world in the last few years Obama represented terrorism and fear to a lot of Americans. Lot's of Americans saw it as justice when he was killed. He represented evil and death. His death represented justice and closure to those who lost their lives during September 11th. But his death did not solve all the problems that we hoped it would solve.

Academy Rants 50 - What we like about the Winter Olympics and Valentines

Submitted by Academy on Mon, 2010-02-22 22:23

You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.

From the Olympics to memories from Valentines. Enjoy our free-for-all.

We make our podcast every school day, Mondays - Thursdays during our Acacemy period, which is at the end of our day. 

We are:

We had Mr. Allison for English last year, and now we have him for Academy, Mondays - Thursdays from 2:15 - 2:52 p.m. Eastern.

New 10th Graders! We are in Mr. Marini's Academy, and we will be joining Mr. Allison's Academy from time to time. We have Mr. Allison for English right now.

Dan and Pablo's reunion

Submitted by DanS on Mon, 2009-11-02 10:59

We are exploring sports. We are interested in this because we are very active people that follow sports. In this piece you hear a bunch of things that are mixed together, In the background you hear people talking, like a real reunion. After that, once Pablo says "Vacation" we hear an ocean that resembles the vacation. After that, you hear boo's when The New York Red Bulls are named. And cheers when The Knicks are heard. Finally, at the end you hear Basketball sounds because we played a game of hoops. 

Academy Rants 5 - Remembering Classes and Connecting With Music

Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 2009-10-06 19:48

In our fifth podcast we talk about classes we liked in the past and music. Which one of us do you think listens to Frank Sinatra and Johnny Cash?

We are going to try to make one every day, Mondays - Thursdays during our Acacemy period, which is at the end of our day. 

We are:

Henry and peters dialogue

Submitted by jsmith on Mon, 2008-12-15 15:42

Peter: Hey man
Henry: Whats going on pete
Peter: Nothing much Nothing much, just have A lot on my mind
Henry: Oh?
Peter: Yeah um.....can i ask you a question?
Henry: Shoot
Peter: You ever....you ever sometimes get a little plhegmatic of the world? like you ever just get sick and tired of everything thats going on? Dont you ever want answers?