This I Believe

As a way of introducing themselves, students post "This I Believe" essays The idea is for students to not only get to know each other, but to open up their writing to a broader audience and receive feedback from someone besides their own classmates. By working together and sharing ideas, we hope to help each other become better writers!

This I Believe in the Classroom

Thousands of teachers around the world—in every U.S. state and more than 50 countries—have embraced This I Believe as a powerful educational tool. Many have told us that our project was the most enriching writing assignment they have given in many years of teaching.

If you have used This I Believe in any educational setting, we would love to hear from you.

Resources for Using This I Believe with Students

To help teachers guide students through exploring their beliefs and composing personal essays about them, we offer the following tools.

Educational Curricula

These educational curricula were designed to help educators guide students in the writing of a This I Believe essay appropriate for inclusion in school writing portfolios. The curricula help students understand the concept of belief, explore their own values, and craft them into a well-written essay.

These curricula are available for a small donation to This I Believe, along with several other documents that have been prepared for houses of worship and community groups.

Brochure and Poster for Use in the Classroom

Download this free brochure and poster to promote This I Believe activities happening in your classroom. The three-page brochure measures 8.5 by 11 inches and features tips for writing one’s own This I Believe essay. The poster measures 11 inches by 17 inches and is ideal to hang in classrooms. Both documents are best printed in color. For best results, these documents may be printed at your local print shop.

This I Believe on Your Campus

Executive Producer Dan Gediman is available to visit your school to discuss the This I Believe project, radio series, or books. For more information, please contact us.

Have Questions?

If you have questions about using This I Believe with your students, please visit our Educator FAQ page for answers.