Transitions: A collection of children’s books

Read and annotate, record yourself reading, and engage in discussions about Transitions, A collection of children’s books created by middle school students in Mr. Mayo’s Lights, Camera, Media, Literacy! class at Silver Spring International Middle School (2012). When you finish each story in this collection write a response and post it as a discussion. Also follow up with research into the important issues raised by these stories for students, and add to the discussions for Transitions.

Step One of Four: Read and Annotate the seven stories in Transitions.

How to annotate on the text embedded here.

Click the tiny < arrow in the right-hand corner, and sign in (or sign up) at hypothes.is.

Make notes on words

• identify keywords and say why they are important
  • guess at, then find definitions for words you don't know
  • point to words that this author uses frequently, and explain why s/he does this

Make notes on a paragraph or more—up to a whole page

• a section you think is particularly memorable, and explain why
  • dialogue that shows something significant about the characters
  • something that confuses you. Say what you do understand, then explain what's still not clear.

Make notes on the writer's craft

• choose a specific example, and identify the literary technique used.
  • select a sentence or two, and explain how these capture the main themes of this text.
  • point out a sentence that stands out to you—for whatever reason—and explain why.

Step Two of Four: Read Your Favorite Stories Aloud

Choose two or three of the stories in Transitions and read them aloud. Record yourself reading pages in this VoiceThread. (You will need to log in. You can register if you don't have an account, or ask your teacher.) You should practice first. Also listen to the other recordings on each page.

Step Three of Four: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' "Transitions" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Step Four of Four: Do some research about specific issues raised in Transitions, making notes. Then post new comments and replies on discussions about Transitions

While reading and looking at Internet sources, pause frequently and write in Docs about what you are seeing and understanding. Use either Adding a quotation... or Quoting a speech... or Dialectical Notes. Use these notes to add new comments on other students' Transitions discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment.