"Tuck Everlasting," by Natalie Babbitt, Prologue and Chapters 1-8

Read and annotate the prologue and the first eight chapters of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. Choose what you think are important passages these chapters, and record them using VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the six questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about the Prologue and Chapters 1-8. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting, and add your findings by writing another comment or reply to another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Also See: Chaps. 9-11 | Chaps. 12-17 | Chaps. 18-20 | Chaps. 21-25 & Epilogue

Step One of Six: Read, Listen to, and Annotate the Prologue and the first eight chapters of Tuck Everlasting

Click on the play buttons to listen to the audio of the Prologue and the first eight chapters of Tuck Everlasting, read by Peter Thomas. Pause and annotate using the NowComment version of Tuck Everlasting in the blue frame below.

You can borrow a Spanish version of this book Tuck para siempre on the Internet Archive.

How to annotate on the text embedded below (while listening and pausing):

Log into NowComment, or Log into Gmail first, then sign in with Google.

Make notes on sentences

• identify key sentences and say why they are important
  • guess at, then find definitions for words you don't know
  • point to words that this author uses frequently, and explain why s/he does this

Make notes on a paragraph

• a part that you think is particularly memorable, and explain why
  • dialogue that shows something significant about the characters
  • something that confuses you. Say what you do understand, then explain what's still not clear.

Make notes on the writer's craft

• choose a specific example, and identify the literary technique used.
  • select a sentence or a paragraph, and explain how these capture the main themes of this text.
  • point out a sentence that stands out to you—for whatever reason—and explain why.

Step Two of Six: Play games with these flashcards, and write stories in your journal about reading Tuck Everlasting

Step Three of Six: Read Important Passages from the Prologue and Chapters 1-8 Aloud

Let's read an important section of Tuck Everlasting - Prologue and Chapters 1-8 aloud. Record yourself reading pages in this green-framed VoiceThread. (You will need to log in. You can register if you don't have an account, or ask your teacher.) You should practice first. Also listen to the other recordings on each page.

Step Four of Six: Use Literature Guides to answer one or two of these questions from the Curriki Wiki: "Days 6-9: Tuck Everlasting Chapters 1-8" Contributed By: Holly Mercado"

Use a Google Doc to compose, share and get comments from peers, revise, proofread, and edit an essay that follows one of the suggested guides. Then post your literary essay as a discussion on Youth Voices.

1. Prologue: How do the woods represent a hub of a wheel for the three events that are connected in the village of Treegap? Use either "Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating to begin talking about these events or themes in Tuck Everlasting.

2. Chapters 1-2: What is so unusual about Mae’s routine and her appearance? Use either Tracking the Characters or Character Traits and Relationships.

3. Chapters 3-4: Why does the stranger wear an expression of satisfaction when he hears the music box coming from the Woods? Use either: Tracking the Plot / Guía de comentario literario: El seguimiento de la trama or Plot Analysis to write about the stranger's role in chapters 3 and 4.

4. Chapters 5-6: Why does Mae exclaim that the worst has happened? Use either: Tracking the Plot / Guía de comentario literario: El seguimiento de la trama or Plot Analysis to write about May's response in these chapters.

5. In Chapter 6, Miles describes losing his family as they aged and he didn’t. Think about spending the rest of eternity at your current age. Who would you lose? What would you gain? Would it be worth it? Use either World Connections or Questioning and Speculating or Social Media Connections to relate to what Miles is experiencing.

6. Chapters 7-8: What effect did the spring have on the Tuck family? Give at least 3 examples. Use either Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating to talk about the effect of spring on the Tuck family.

Step Five of Six: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' "Tuck Everlasting - Prologue and Chapters 1-8" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Step Six of Six: Do some research about the author, Natalie Babbitt and the Plot of Tuck Everlasting, annotating the resources in the purple frame below with Hypothes.is. Then post new comments and replies on discussions about "Tuck Everlasting Prologue and Chapters 1-8."

While reading these materials collected by Scholastic BookFiles"A Reading Guide to Tuck Everlasting, by Hannah Mitchell," pause frequently and annotate with Hypothes.is about what you are learning about the author and the plot. Write about your annotations, using either Adding a quotation... or Quoting a speech.... Use these notes to add new comments on other students' "Tuck Everlasting - Prologue and Chapters 1-8" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment.