"Tuck Everlasting," by Natalie Babbitt, Chapters 9-11

Read and annotate Chapters 9-11 of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the nine questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 9-11. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Also See: Prologue & Chaps. 1-8 | Chaps. 12-17 | Chaps. 18-20 | Chaps. 21-25 & Epilogue

Step One of Six: Read, Listen to, and Annotate Chapters 9-11 of Tuck Everlasting

Click on the play buttons to listen to the audio of for Chapters 9-11 of Tuck Everlasting, read by Peter Thomas. Pause and annotate using the NowComment version of Tuck Everlasting in the blue frame below.

You can borrow a Spanish version of this book Tuck para siempre on the Internet Archive.

How to annotate on the text embedded below (while listening and pausing):

Log into NowComment, or Log into Gmail first, then sign in with Google.

Make notes on sentences

• identify key sentences and say why they are important
  • guess at, then find definitions for words you don't know
  • point to words that this author uses frequently, and explain why s/he does this

Make notes on a paragraph

• a part that you think is particularly memorable, and explain why
  • dialogue that shows something significant about the characters
  • something that confuses you. Say what you do understand, then explain what's still not clear.

Make notes on the writer's craft

• choose a specific example, and identify the literary technique used.
  • select a sentence or a paragraph, and explain how these capture the main themes of this text.
  • point out a sentence that stands out to you—for whatever reason—and explain why.

Step Two of Six: Play games with these flashcards, and write stories in your journal about reading Tuck Everlasting

Step Three of Six: Read Important Passages from Chapters 9-11 Aloud

Let's read an important section of Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 9-11 aloud. Record yourself reading pages in this green-framed VoiceThread. (You will need to log in. You can register if you don't have an account, or ask your teacher.) You should practice first. Also listen to the other recordings on each page.

Step Four of Six: Use Literature Guides to answer one or two of these questions from the Curriki Wiki: "Day 11: Tuck Everlasting Week 2 Vocabulary and Chapters 9-11" Contributed By: Holly Mercado"

Use a Google Doc to compose, share and get comments from peers, revise, proofread, and edit an essay that follows one of the suggested guides. Then post your literary essay as a discussion on Youth Voices.

Chapter 9
1. Describe what Winnie is seeing and feeling as she is going to the Tucks’ home. What was Tuck’s reaction right when he came out to see Winnie? Why was Winnie first shy around Tuck? Use either Tracking the Characters or Character Traits and Relationships.

2. Why did everything around the Tucks’ home appear to be silent and untouched? Why do you think Tuck demanded to see the child? How do you think Tuck was originally feeling when Miles and Jesse told him there was a real honest to goodness child with them? Why was Tuck so hesitant to say that it was the best thing that had happened to their family in… and he didn’t mention the years? Use either "Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating to begin talking about these events or themes in Tuck Everlasting.

3. How do you think the Tuck family will change now that Winnie is around? How has Tuck already changed from his melancholy creases on his face to exclaiming that Winnie was the best thing that had happened to his family in at least 80 years? Use either: Tracking the Plot / Guía de comentario literario: El seguimiento de la trama or Plot Analysis to write about the changes in the Tuck family in Chapter 9.

Chapter 10
4. What do you think was going through Winnie’s mind when she stepped foot in the Tucks’ home? What does the author mean when she stated that Winnie was in training to be like her mother and grandmother? Has your family trained you to be similar to their own ways? Explain. Use either Tracking the Characters or Character Traits and Relationships.

5. Describe the appearance of the Tucks’ home? How do you think the Tucks feel about keeping their house tidy? Why do they feel that way? How do you think Winnie feels about keeping a house tidy? Why does she feel that way? Do you think the Tucks don’t clean because they have forever to do it or because they just don’t care? Why? Use either World Connections or Questioning and Speculating or Social Media Connections to comment on the Tucks' home.

6. How do you think Mae felt when Winnie mentioned how sad and lonely it must be to move around all of the time and have no friends? Describe Mae’s optimism. Why do you think she always looks at things from the bright side? Do you think living forever is a blessing or not? Why? Use either Character Analysis Introduction or Character Archetypes to describe Mae's optimism and the theme of living forever.

Chapter 11
7. Why would Winnie be observant of any rules the Tucks might have at dinner? Do you think it is important to follow rules or guidelines of someone else’s home if you are a guest? Why? Why does Winnie feel as though she can’t fit into the Tucks’ world, especially when they are eating? What made Winnie begin to think the Tucks were crazy? How do you feel about them? Use either "Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating to begin talking about Winnie's reactions to the Tucks in Chapter 11 of Tuck Everlasting.

8. Why is it so important for the Tucks to ensure that Winnie doesn’t tell a soul about their secret? Why are all the men of the Tuck family insisting on taking Winnie out for a row on the pond? What do you think they want to discuss with her? What causes Winnie to feel a sigh of relief when she mentions that the man in the yellow suit knows her? Do you think she actually wants to leave the Tucks? Use either: Tracking the Plot / Guía de comentario literario: El seguimiento de la trama or Plot Analysis to write about the stranger's role in chapter 11.

9. Why does Tuck feel so bad about his family scaring young children? Do you think that was their intention all along? What does Tuck mean when he says, “We got to get you home just as fast as we can. I got a feeling this whole thing is going to come apart like wet bread?” What are your predictions about the future for Winnie and the Tucks? Use either Character Analysis Introduction or Character Archetypes to describe the character of Tuck and his relationship with Winnie. Be sure to also include your thoughts about the future for Winnie and the Tucks.

Step Five of Six: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' "Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 9-11" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Step Six of Six: Do some research into how Tuck Everlasting came about and about the Setting/Place and Time of the novel. Annotate the resources in the purple frame below with Hypothes.is. Then post new comments and replies on discussions about "Tuck Everlasting Chapters 9-11."

While reading these materials collected by Scholastic BookFiles "A Reading Guide to Tuck Everlasting," by Hannah Mitchell, pause frequently and annotate with Hypothes.is about what you are learning about the origin and the setting of this novel. Write about your annotations, using either Adding a quotation... or Quoting a speech.... Use these notes to add new comments on other students' "Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 9-11" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment.