"Tuck Everlasting," by Natalie Babbitt, Chapters 12-17

Read and annotate Chapters 12-17 of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the three questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 12-17. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Also See: Prologue & Chaps. 1-8 | Chaps. 9-11 | Chaps. 18-20 | Chaps. 21-25 & Epilogue

Step One of Six: Read, Listen to, and Annotate Chapters 12-19 of Tuck Everlasting

Click on the play buttons to listen to the audio of for Chapters 12-19 of Tuck Everlasting, read by Peter Thomas. Pause and annotate using the NowComment version of Tuck Everlasting in the blue frame below.

You can borrow a Spanish version of this book Tuck para siempre on the Internet Archive.

How to annotate on the text embedded below (while listening and pausing):

Log into NowComment, or Log into Gmail first, then sign in with Google.

Make notes on sentences

• identify key sentences and say why they are important
  • guess at, then find definitions for words you don't know
  • point to words that this author uses frequently, and explain why s/he does this

Make notes on a paragraph

• a part that you think is particularly memorable, and explain why
  • dialogue that shows something significant about the characters
  • something that confuses you. Say what you do understand, then explain what's still not clear.

Make notes on the writer's craft

• choose a specific example, and identify the literary technique used.
  • select a sentence or a paragraph, and explain how these capture the main themes of this text.
  • point out a sentence that stands out to you—for whatever reason—and explain why.

Step Two of Six: Play games with these flashcards, and write stories in your journal about reading Tuck Everlasting

Step Three of Six: Read Important Passages from Chapters 12-17 Aloud

Let's read an important section of Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 12-17 aloud. Record yourself reading pages in this green-framed VoiceThread. (You will need to log in. You can register if you don't have an account, or ask your teacher.) You should practice first. Also listen to the other recordings on each page.

Step Four of Six: Use Literature Guides to answer one or two of these questions from the Curriki Wiki: "Days 12-14: Tuck Everlasting Chapters 12-17" Contributed By: Holly Mercado"

Use a Google Doc to compose, share and get comments from peers, revise, proofread, and edit an essay that follows one of the suggested guides. Then post your literary essay as a discussion on Youth Voices.

1. Chapters 12-13: Why are the Tuck’s no longer like a wheel? Give at least two concrete examples. Use either "Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating to talk about this metaphor of a wheel in Tuck Everlasting.

2. Chapters 14-15: Why is the man in the yellow suit so eager to get the Foster’s woods? Use either: Tracking the Plot / Guía de comentario literario: El seguimiento de la trama or Plot Analysis to write about the man in the yellow suit in Chapters 14 and 15.

3. Chapters 16-17: What finally convinces Winnie not to tell the Tucks’ secret? Use either Character Analysis Introduction or Character Archetypes to describe Winnie's decision about keeping the Tucks' secret.

Step Five of Six: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' "Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 12-17" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Step Six of Six: Do some research about the author of Tuck Everlasting, Natalie Babbitt, and learn more about the Themes/Layers of Meaning in the novel. Annotate the resources in the purple frame below with Hypothes.is. Then post new comments and replies on discussions about "Tuck Everlasting Chapters 12-17."

While reading these materials collected by Scholastic BookFiles "A Reading Guide to Tuck Everlasting," by Hannah Mitchell, pause frequently and annotate with Hypothes.is about what you are learning about the origin and the setting of this novel. Write about your annotations, using either Adding a quotation... or Quoting a speech.... Use these notes to add new comments on other students' "Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 12-17" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment.