"Tuck Everlasting," by Natalie Babbitt, Chapters 18-20

Read and annotate Chapters 18-20 of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the seven questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 18-20. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Also See: Prologue & Chaps. 1-8 | Chaps. 9-11 | Chaps. 12-17 | Chaps. 21-25 & Epilogue

Step One of Six: Read, Listen to, and Annotate Chapters 18-20 of Tuck Everlasting

Click on the play buttons to listen to the audio of for Chapters 18-20 of Tuck Everlasting, read by Peter Thomas. Pause and annotate using the NowComment version of Tuck Everlasting in the blue frame below.

You can borrow a Spanish version of this book Tuck para siempre on the Internet Archive.

How to annotate on the text embedded below (while listening and pausing):

Log into NowComment, or Log into Gmail first, then sign in with Google.

Make notes on sentences

• identify key sentences and say why they are important
  • guess at, then find definitions for words you don't know
  • point to words that this author uses frequently, and explain why s/he does this

Make notes on a paragraph

• a part that you think is particularly memorable, and explain why
  • dialogue that shows something significant about the characters
  • something that confuses you. Say what you do understand, then explain what's still not clear.

Make notes on the writer's craft

• choose a specific example, and identify the literary technique used.
  • select a sentence or a paragraph, and explain how these capture the main themes of this text.
  • point out a sentence that stands out to you—for whatever reason—and explain why.

Step Two of Six: Play games with these flashcards, and write stories in your journal about reading Tuck Everlasting

Step Three of Six: Read Important Passages from Chapters 18-20 Aloud

Let's read an important section of Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 18-20 aloud. Record yourself reading pages in this green-framed VoiceThread. (You will need to log in. You can register if you don't have an account, or ask your teacher.) You should practice first. Also listen to the other recordings on each page.

Step Four of Six: Use Literature Guides to answer one or two of these questions from the Curriki Wiki: "Day 16: Tuck Everlasting Week 3 Vocabulary and Chapters 18-20" Contributed By: Holly Mercado"

Use a Google Doc to compose, share and get comments from peers, revise, proofread, and edit an essay that follows one of the suggested guides. Then post your literary essay as a discussion on Youth Voices.

Chapter 18
1. Why didn’t Miles blame Winnie for them not catching any fish for dinner? Why was Winnie’s stomach fluttering so much when she saw Jessie?
Do you think she will actually consider taking his proposition of drinking the spring water? Use either Tracking the Characters or Character Traits and Relationships.

2. Why does Mae think that having Winnie there with them for breakfast is like having a party? Why was it important to Winnie to think that the Tucks belonged to her? Why do you think that Tuck was so dear to Winnie? What about him would draw Winnie to him? Use either "Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating to continue talking about these events or themes in Tuck Everlasting.

Chapter 19:
3. What do you think caused the man in the yellow suit to have an unpleasant look in his face even though he wasn’t showing any expressions? How did the man in the yellow suit knows about the spring water and about living forever? Why does the man in the yellow suit say that Miles’s wife left him? Use either Tracking the Characters or Character Traits and Relationships.

4. Do you think the Tucks have justifiable reason to be irritated with the man in the yellow suit? Do they have reason to be suspicious of him? Why? Why won’t the man in the yellow suit sell the spring water to just anybody, why does it have to be people who deserve it? Do you think one individual has the right to decide what people deserve to live forever? Are the Tuck’s really being selfish by keeping the spring water a secret? Why or why not? Use either World Connections or Questioning and Speculating or Social Media Connections to comment on the Tucks' responses to the man in the yellow suit.

Chapter 20:
5. Why did Winnie hide herself in Tuck’s chest after the incident with Mae and the man in the yellow suit? How do you think you would have felt if you had just witnessed Mae hitting the man in the yellow suit over the head with a shotgun? Why do you think Winnie wants to protect the Tucks? Use either Character Analysis Introduction or Character Archetypes to describe Winnie's relationship with the Tucks.

6. Why do you think Natalie Babbitt describes the man in the yellow suit appearance on the ground to a marionette? Why might Tuck be envious of the man in the yellow suit lying on the ground? Use either "Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating to continue talking about the man in the yellow suit in Chapter 20 of Tuck Everlasting.

7. Why did the word gallows scare the Tucks so much? What would people discover if Mae was sent to the gallows? How do you think Winnie will make a difference in helping Mae not go to the gallows? How have the possibilities for Winnie changed so much in one day? Use either: Tracking the Plot / Guía de comentario literario: El seguimiento de la trama or Plot Analysis to write about how things are changing for Winnie in Chapter 20 of Tuck Everlasting.

Step Five of Six: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' "Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 18-20" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Step Six of Six: Do some research on the author of Tuck Everlasting, Natalie Babbitt and her writing process, and on the Characters in the novel. Annotate the resources in the purple frame below with Hypothes.is. Then post new comments and replies on discussions about "Tuck Everlasting Chapters 18-20."

While reading these materials collected by Scholastic BookFiles "A Reading Guide to Tuck Everlasting," by Hannah Mitchell, pause frequently and annotate with Hypothes.is about what you are learning about the origin and the setting of this novel. Write about your annotations, using either Adding a quotation... or Quoting a speech.... Use these notes to add new comments on other students' "Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 18-20" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment.