"Tuck Everlasting," by Natalie Babbitt, Chapters 21-25 and Epilogue

Read and annotate Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the six questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Also See: Prologue & Chaps. 1-8 | Chaps. 9-11 | Chaps. 12-17 | Chaps. 18-20

Step One of Six: Read, Listen to, and Annotate Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue of Tuck Everlasting

Click on the play buttons to listen to the audio of for Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue of Tuck Everlasting, read by Peter Thomas. Pause and annotate using the NowComment version of Tuck Everlasting in the blue frame below.

How to annotate on the text embedded below (while listening and pausing):

Log into NowComment, or Log into Gmail first, then sign in with Google.

Make notes on sentences

• identify key sentences and say why they are important
  • guess at, then find definitions for words you don't know
  • point to words that this author uses frequently, and explain why s/he does this

Make notes on a paragraph

• a part that you think is particularly memorable, and explain why
  • dialogue that shows something significant about the characters
  • something that confuses you. Say what you do understand, then explain what's still not clear.

Make notes on the writer's craft

• choose a specific example, and identify the literary technique used.
  • select a sentence or a paragraph, and explain how these capture the main themes of this text.
  • point out a sentence that stands out to you—for whatever reason—and explain why.

You can borrow a Spanish version of this book Tuck para siempre on the Internet Archive.

Step Two of Six: Play games with these flashcards, and write stories in your journal about reading Tuck Everlasting

Step Three of Six: Read Important Passages from Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue Aloud

Let's read an important section of Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue aloud. Record yourself reading pages in this green-framed VoiceThread. (You will need to log in. You can register if you don't have an account, or ask your teacher.) You should practice first. Also listen to the other recordings on each page.

Also See:

Step Four of Six: Use Literature Guides to answer one or two of these questions from the Curriki Wiki: "Days 17-19: Tuck Everlasting Chapters 21-Epilogue" Contributed By: Holly Mercado"

Use a Google Doc to compose, share and get comments from peers, revise, proofread, and edit an essay that follows one of the suggested guides. Then post your literary essay as a discussion on Youth Voices.

1. Chapter 21 Do you think the Fosters regret selling the wood? What makes Winnie’s family think she has changed? Use either: Tracking the Plot / Guía de comentario literario: El seguimiento de la trama or Plot Analysis to write about the changes in Chapter 21.

2. Chapter 22 Why does Winnie volunteer to help rescue Mae? Do you think Jesse should have given Winnie the spring water? Why or why not?Use either Character Analysis Introduction or Character Archetypes to describe Winnie in Chapter 22.

3. Chapter 23 Why does being disheveled make Winnie’s mother and grandmother more interesting? Why does Winnie feel so good and right about what she is about to do? Use either Tracking the Characters or Character Traits and Relationships to describe Winnie and her relationships in Chapter 23.

4. Chapter 24 How do you think Winnie feels helping Mae escape? Do you think Winnie does the right thing in freeing Mae? Why? Use either World Connections or Questioning and Speculating or Social Media Connections to comment on the Winnie's decisions in Chapter 24.

5. Chapter 25 How does Winnie’s reputation in the village change after she helps Mae? Why do you think Winnie saves the toad from the dog? What important decision does Winnie make when she pours the spring water on the toad? Use either Character Analysis Introduction or Character Archetypes to describe Winnie in Chapter 25.

6. Epilogue: How does the author connect Winnie and the Tucks at the end of the story? Why does Angus Tuck say, “Good girl,” when he sees Winnie’s grave? Use either "Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating to talk about the resolutions found in the Epilogue of Tuck Everlasting.

Step Five of Six: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' "Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Step Six of Six: Do some research into what other people thought about Tuck Everlasting, and do one of the projects suggested by the author. Annotate the resources in the purple frame below with Hypothes.is. Then post new comments and replies on discussions about "Tuck Everlasting Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue."

While reading these materials collected by Scholastic BookFiles "A Reading Guide to Tuck Everlasting," by Hannah Mitchell, pause frequently and annotate with Hypothes.is about what you are learning about the origin and the setting of this novel. Write about your annotations, using either Adding a quotation... or Quoting a speech.... Use these notes to add new comments on other students' "Tuck Everlasting - Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment.