Violence in Video Games and Hip-Hop

Can video games make us more violent or do some players who are predisposed towards aggression seek out certain games? Does the level of violence in hip hop speak volumes about the industry's greed and lack of self-control? What is the cause of violence in our lives? Are video games and hip hop to blame?

Step One of Three: Read and annotate the following two articles on NowComment

Step Two of Three: Write a comparison essay and post it on Youth Voices

Use a Google Doc to compose, share and get comments from peers, revise, proofread, and edit an essay that follows the assignment below. Then post your comparison essay as a discussion on Youth Voices.

The authors of "How Hip-Hop Lost Its Way and Betrayed Its Fans" and "Video Game Bans: the Debate about Guns, GTA, and Real-Life Violence" both reflect on the themes of Violence in their respective articles.

How does the author of "How Hip-Hop Lost Its Way and Betrayed Its Fans" try to change the way you think about hip-hop?

How does the author of "Video Game Bans: the Debate about Guns, GTA, and Real-Life Violence" try to change the way you think about video games?

Which author seems to provide stronger evidence? Use details from both passages to support your answer. In your answer, be sure to:

• Explain how the author of "How Hip-Hop Lost Its Way and Betrayed Its Fans" tries to change the way you think about hip-hop.
  • Explain how the author of "Video Game Bans: the Debate about Guns, GTA, and Real-Life Violence" tries to change the way you think about video games.
  • Explain which author seems to provide stronger evidence.
  • Use details from both passages to support your answer

Step Three of Three: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' discussion posts about violence and rap and video games using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.