Wikipedia: A good starting point

Annotate a Wikipedia article. Post a discussion about this article, quoting from 3 sources that support or question the article.

Step One of Three: Find a Wikipedia article related to your question. Read and write 10-15 hypothes.is annotations with questions, opinions, ideas.

For good reasons, a lot of people question the credibility (Can't anybody write something there?) and the reliability (How do we know anything there is true or balanced?) of Wikipedia. Yet it is sometimes a good place to start a research project, to find out what people are saying about a particular topic, and to find other sources. Further, if we support or question any claim from a Wikipedia article with other sources, we are learning good lessons in checking our facts from any one source against other sources.

Step Two of Three: After annotating, use the guide: Response to a Wikipedia article to write a text-dependent response.

Create a first draft in Google Docs. Get responses from a couple of peers and a teacher, then spellcheck and proofread one more time. Finally post your response as a Discussion on Youth Voices.

We encourage students to break out of overly-structured "sentence starters" such as "Response to a Wikipedia article," and create your own kinds of response. However, we do ask you to keep in mind the following guidelines:

1. At the beginning our your essay, copy and paste the APA citation and the permenant link to the article that you are reviewing.

2. Begin with showing general reaponse to the article, then say why you feel this way.

3. Double check. Quote a specific sentence or two from the article that you think is important and say why. THEN be sure to do more research and quote from at least one more source that shows that this claim is probably reliable.

4. Do #3 again. Find another important sentence or two from the article, quote it and cite it. THEN do more research and quote and cite another source that says something similar.

5. If you find something in the Wikipedia article that might not be accurate, quote and cite it, and say why you think it might not be accurate. AGAIN, do more research. Find a source or two that proves that this part of the article is not correct. Quote from these sources and cite them.

6. End by explaining in detail what you learned from reading this Wikipedia article, and add a couple of questions that you will want to follow up on in further research.

Step Three of Three: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' Wikipedia discussion posts using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Work you will have: 

1. Five links to your best hypothes.is annotations on a Wikipedia article related to your question.
  2. A link to a first draft in Google Docs of an essay that uses the guide: Response to a Wikipedia article. Draft should show responses from peers and a teacher or mentor.
  3. A link a post on Youth Voices that is revised from your draft of a Response to a Wikipedia article that meets the criteria listed at the bottom of the guide.
  4. Links to your comments and replies on other students' Wikipedia discussion posts using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Badges: