Use EDU-YouTube for Research

Many of us use YouTube for entertainment, but browse over to YouTube.com/education to see how many fascinating videos you can find to spark your research project. Use EDU-YouTube to find 2 or 3 videos from such inspiring sources as TEDx Talks, Stamford University, and PBS NewsHour, and more!

To find videos about your inquiry question, try using the "Education" button on the black bar under "Browse" to limit your queries to education channels. You can also start on the YouTube EDU homepage and browse according to the following three learning segments:

1. Primary and Secondary:  Channels that span from preschool to secondary school, also known as our K12 segment
  2. Higher Education: Channels that include colleges, universities and college departments around the world
  3. Lifelong Learning: Channels for continuing learners that include everything from museums to language instructors

Find at least 3 complex, academic, thought-provoking videos, and add them to a playlist that you create on your YouTube Channel.

Share this video with your teacher and a few peers by clicking the Share button and adding their emails into the To box.

Once you've set up a playlist of videos about your inquiry question and sent a link to that playlist to your teacher and a few peers, watch each of the videos straight through--without other distractions--and keep notes, first on paper, then online in a Dialectical Notes form.

• Write down the time code (minutes:seconds) for where someone in the video says something significant so that you can transcribe this later. 
  • After you've watched and listened to the entire video at least once, open up either a new Dialectical Notes form or one that you've already begun with other sources, and add transcriptions from the video on the left side and responses on the right side.
  • Be sure to add a citation for your video at the top of your form, and in the left column add the time code (minutes:seconds) for where we can find what you are transcribing on the video (instead of the page or paragraph number).
  • Share your Dialectical Notes with your teacher and a few peers, make this document Public and Publish to the web...